My favorite feature of the Danish lifestyle is a unique concept called "hygge," which is sort of pronounced like Hugh-Gee (Gee as in Gordon, not like "golly gee"). Because it's so cold here, and because it's always overcast and the sun is only up between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, the Danes have this idea of retreating into a cozy atmosphere, lighting candles, sharing drinks and having conversation. That's hygge. Cause picture this: you're walking around outside, your ears are hurting from the cold, your toes are numb, and then you see a cafe or a coffee shop on the side of the street; and upon looking through the windows, you notice small groups or pairs sitting at tables with flickering candles on them, and these people are having coffee or beer and enjoying each other's company. Also: the lighting is usually dark. Sounds romantic, right? So of course you have this urge to go inside and sit down yourself so that you can take off your scarf, your gloves, and your coat and sit at a table surrounded by candles and chatter. Doesn't that sound cozy?! So yeah, that's hygge. The problem is that it's bad news for my wallet because every time I go in one of these places I always end up buying some kind of refreshment or food (more times than not I just get a chocolate croissant cause those things are amazingggg).
What amuses me most about hygge is the focus on candles. I kid you not: candles are everywhere. You want to go get your hair cut? There will be candles in the barber shop. Restaurants: check. Bars: check. Grocery stores: check. What's strangest (to me) is that the use of candles even extends outside of the shop! As in, when you're walking down the cobble stone streets (I know you're jealous right now), you will see a cafe with candles inside and a few candles outside. Like, right there on the street. Just sitting there by themselves in these huge candle holders. Enticing you to go in and spend more kroner on croissants (which I don't mind).
So yeah, anyway, because I'm trying to adopt When in Cope, do as the Copenhageners do as my mantra, I went out and bought some candles for my own room. Three small cinnamon-scented ones at this cheap place called Tiger. (Tiger reminds me of Walmart in the sense that it has a random assortment of inexpensive stuff--everything from food to kitchenware to books--but it's a lot, lot, lot smaller and is kind of just another typical Danish shop on the street corner.) Now everytime I come home in the afternoon or at night I get out my little silver lighter and light my three candles! It makes me feel so cozy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kellllly! Hi. So, what's with Ed knowing the link to your blog and not me? Well, no longer! I am here. Muahaha. But seriously, that sounds soooo cozy! Mmmm candles :). Anyhow, I've gotta run, but I just wanted to say hi! love you! take care!
hey kel! i'm glad you're keeping a blog :-) you would have had to tell me all of this stuff as soon as you got back if you didn't keep me posted on it now! i'm glad you're enjoying denmark...it sounds amazing. i'd love to see all the candles and the little shops and whatnot. I hope your classes are going well over there too! eat another chocolate croissant for me ;-) haha, i miss you, kel!!
Post a Comment