It has been far too long since I updated this thing. Not sure that anyone but Elise and Ed read this blog, but oh well, I figure it's good to record some thoughts anyway! Knowing me, I will read this blog in a couple years' time in order to reflect on my experiences in Denmark.
TRAVEL BREAK BEGINS TOMORROW, and as such, I want to write down my travel plans:
Mar 21: Leave for France. 17 hour bus ride (FML), but I can't wait to speak French!
Mar 22-23: Verdun (famous battlefield from WWI)
Mar 23-24: Reims (to see the cathedral where the French kings had their coronations and to sample champagne!)
Mar 24: Versailles, and then arrival in Paris!!! SO excited.
Mar 24-28: Paris. First few days are with DIS (my program), but the night of the 26, plus the 27 and the morning of the 28, will be on my own
Mar 28-31: LONDON. Holy shit. I've only wanted to go there since I read Harry Potter for the first time. I'm meeting up with Michelle and Emily and we're doing all sorts of cool stuff, including going to King's Cross (duh) and even to Tottenham Court Road (from "A Place to Hide" (chapter 9?) in Deathly Hallows)!
April 1-5: Edinfreakinburgh. Home of JK Rowling! Michelle and Emily and I are taking an overnight bus there (how sweet is that?) and staying in a hostel together there as well. I can't wait. Gotta go see JKR's handprints and the cafe where she wrote some of the books. Aside from that, it'll probs be lots of castles and shit, but I'm stoked.
April 5-8: Aix-en-Provence!!! Flying down there to visit Marquise at the Vandy-in-France program! So excited, especially because it will be WARM (I have not experienced temperatures higher than 45 degrees since I was in the States) and because I'll get to speak French again :) Plus I get to stay with Quise for free! Take that, Hostelworld! (On a side note, Hostelworld is actually a godsend.) Probably gonna see a couple of DIS friends there too!
April 8: Quise and I catch a bus to Nice! We'll arrive there around 6 pm and stay the night there in a hostel that was ranked the #1 hostel in France--shit son! I'm looking forward to it. I have been in Nice once before, for like six hours maybe, but it is a beautiful place and I am eager to return. Then Quise and I have to wake up at like 4 or 5 am so we can catch a flight to...
April 9-14: GREECE. (!!!) Quise and I are flying into Athens on the 9th and meeting up with JD, his girlfriend, and some of their friends--there will be seven of us Vandy kids chillin in Greece together! (Effing Greece, dude! WTF so excited!) We're going to the island of Naxos on the 10th and the hostel we're staying at basically looks like Meryl Streep's house in Mamma Mia. I cannot wait. And then my flight back to CPH leaves around 4:30 am on Tuesday the 14th and arrives in CPH at around 8:30, haha. Then I have class three hours later cause that's the day that classes officially resume. So I'll be tired, but elated.
(This is the part where you comment on my travel plans.)
Now to turn to CPH...
So much has been going on since February when I last posted. I really do feel like Copenhagen and Denmark have become home to me. A big part of that has been my friends. I absolutely adore everyone in my kollegium. Most of my social time is spent hanging out with Keops kids, which is strange because I initially felt like I didn't fit in well with them and I spent most of my time hanging out with other people I had met. But now nearly all of my time is spent with Keops people. There's a group of around 20 of us who are always hanging out, eating dinner together, and going out together; it's like a big family. But there's no drama, no caddiness, no bitchiness, just acceptance and friendship. So I love it. The cooking thing was pretty instrumental, I think, in bringing us together. We all broke into pairs and signed up for a night to cook (Lindsay and I made a casserole/fruit salad) and between the sharing of our GoogleDocs spreadsheet, which people wrote jokes on, and the gathering in the common room at 7 every night, I think we all got closer. The cooking thing has dropped off in the past week or so, mainly because of midterms, but I'm looking forward to resuming it when we get back. The kollegium bond reminds me of ASB in a strange way: you get really close with people in a short period of time because you're doing something outside your comfort zone together, but you're also aware the entire time that it's a fleeting part of your life. The nice thing is that this experience lasts four months as opposed to one week, yet it still makes me sad to realize that once I go home in May, I'll never be together with all of my friends again. I only hope that I'll retain some of the friendships I've made. It's weird to think about the fact that right now, here at my desk in my room in Copenhagen, all of my pictures are of my friends from ATL and Vandy, but when I move into my suite at school in August, my desk will have pictures of those friends PLUS pictures of my study abroad friends. Funny, ain't it?
So another comment: I've gone through weird phases where different things provide me comfort for a short amount of time. Let me explain. While I certainly feel happy here by this point, there are still times when I have to distract or occupy myself with various leisure activities that make me feel at home. You know, like routines I go through after school or when I come home from going out at night. So for a little while I was into the whole reading-a-book-at-the-cafe thing (Oscar Wao, Great Gatsby), then there was a period of a few days to a week where I always listened to 92.9 Dave FM on internet radio in my room (it's my favorite station at home and it was funny to me to hear the Atlanta traffic reports while I was watching the S-Train run through Copenhagen outside my window), and now I'm on a Family Guy kick. I never really watched Family Guy before--I'd seen probably two episodes in my life--but I stumbled upon familyguynow.com about a week ago and since then I've been watching one, two, or sometimes three episodes a day. It's become that thing I do when I want to relax, or what I do to wind down before bed, or what I do when I come home drunk (which I still somewhat am right now--or maybe I'm just sleepy at this point!).
Speaking of coming home drunk, you know what's silly? I think that when I remember my study abroad experience in the future, one of the weird things I will remember is the routine of going out at night, drinking somewhere, waiting for a while for the bus (cause their schedules are different at night and they don't run as frequently), getting on the bus and talking loudly/drunkenly with my friends while the Danes look at us like we're obnoxious Americans (sigh), going to 7-11 and buying junk food (usually a bottle of Cocio chocolate milk--my favorite--and oftentimes a Mars bar or some kind of pastry/hot dog), then walking home from the 7-11, coming up to my room, and getting on the computer and doing something stupid while I eat my food. And lately that something stupid has been watching Family Guy. But I find it so comforting! So I'm gonna go do that now.
Oh but first...JD and I were talking yesterday about how we go to cafes that all have weird names, and we could totally make a sentence (or facebook status) out of the cafe names. So, here goes: Yesterday I was feeling Kafunky so I went to get some Pussy's, but then I needed to go the Laundromat, and eventually I wound up in the Living Room. A-ha-ha. So funny. And yet it's true that Kafunky, Pussy Galore's Flying Circus, the Laundromat Cafe, and the Living Room are among my favorite places to hang out....
alright, for serious, I need to go watch some Family Guy and then go to bed. Gotta be well-rested before I jet off to France tomorrow! Eeeeek!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dear Kelly,
Thank you for posting! I am obvi so jeal of your travel plans (but you already knew this)! Tell Quise I say hi and that I miss him too! And enjoy LONDON and EDINFREAKINBURGH haha!!!! And you and Quise (I know he will so I'm not worried) def need to break into some ABBA whilst gallivanting around a Greek Island. You are going to have such a great time!
As for the rest--I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself and your friends...and Family Guy hahaha...I used to watch that in high school ;).
And lastly, I could tell that you had had a few drinks from the amount of times you cursed hahahaha oh man I love you! Take care on your journey hun!!! Talk to you soon, I hope!
loveeeeeeeeeee
I read your blog too!!! and i miss you dearly so please feel free to facebook stalk me or even skype me whenever you feel the urge!
Post a Comment